Sunday, March 19, 2006

Gimme an 'M' pleeeeze!


I finished my March socks! They are made of Bright Spring Magic Stripes yarn with size 3 needles. I'm sort of tickled that they match up pretty well.

A question that has been on my mind: Should I block my socks if they are machine washable? I am thinking I do need to if they are made of anything that has to be hand washed and laid out to dry but that it would be a waste of time for the superwashed wool that gets tossed in the dryer. I would love some comments on this, so feel free to leave your knitty advise!

Today I bought some yarn to make some bed socks, 'cause my feet get cold at night and I found a cute pattern. I also just had to buy some yarn to make myself a Tubey; I think I'll do a short sleeved version since it'll probably be hot outside by the time I get the thing done! I'm currently working on an easy red shrug that I'm kinda making up as I go along, so I need to finish that next, but I really ought to cast on the new bed socks tonight because I have got into the habit of having two projects going at once. So, its off to bed to knit, as soon as I figure out which thing to work on first.

4 Comments:

At 3:53 PM , Blogger aija said...

Yay *m*! :)

I don't block my socks, I'm also terribly lazy though and they've all been superwash so far. I've let a few air dry but they ended up larger than when they went in, so I toss them in the dryer now. Don't forget I'm lazy, so take my comment with a huge grain of salt :)

 
At 9:43 PM , Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

The socks are great!! Good job on the match up!

I don't know anything about blocking socks, let alone blocking anything else lol.

I did the air dry thing a couple of times with socks too (cause i was thinking they might shrink if I put them in the dryer) and they ended up loose. This last time I washed them I threw them in the dryer and they were fine.

 
At 9:55 AM , Blogger wendy said...

Great job! I haven't had the courage to wash mine in the washer/dryer. I keep hand washing and hanging them up over the bath tub to dry. If you don't have blockers you can use these instructions to make one from a plastic coated wire hanger: http://www.needletrax.com/blockers.htm
Or you could always pop over to http://www.socknitters.com and look at their forum and see what they have to say.
Good Luck!

 
At 9:04 PM , Blogger Tina in Wonderland said...

Thanks Quickeye and Shelley for the advise. I'm so glad you agreed that they don't need blocking and I am now more than happy to just pitch 'em in the dryer! You don't have to beat me over the head with a broomstick to keep me from doing extra housework!

Wendy, thanks so much for the links!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home