Thursday, February 16, 2006

Koigu?


On the left you will see Maizy trying to figure out a way to help me knit, even though she has no thumbs! Her job usually is to sit beside me and watch whatever it is that I'm doing. In front of her, you can see how much of the Olympic shrug I have finished, which is both sleeves and a teeny bit of the back that I cast on this afternoon.

How in the heck does a person pronounce the name of the yarn, "Koigu"?!?! I've read so many blog posts raving about it for socks, and I've seen it in so many cool colors, but what, exactly, would I say if I needed to ask for it? Is it a French sort of word (Kwa-Goo), or is it the Japanese style (Coy-gu), or just some other pronounciation like maybe (Koo-Goo)? I seem to think that the last syllable is simply (goo), as in the baby jibberish 'goo-goo'. I don't know why, I just think it is. The first syllable, though, I really just can't figure out for certain. Seriously, it has been buggin' me so I really MUST find out how to say it! I would really love some feedback on this, please, anybody out there in Blogland!

3 Comments:

At 7:12 PM , Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

I've never seen any of that yarn up here, and I've never ordered any off the net (never ordered anything off the net for that matter yet), so I don't know how to pronounce it myself. I've always said it as "Koy-Goo" and even added letters to it to get "koy-ay-goo" LOL. Hopefully someone can educate us on this!

The shrug is looking great, btw!!

 
At 11:12 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've heard that it is pronounced it "koy-goo". Course I actually try not to pronounce it in public. LOL.

 
At 4:31 PM , Blogger AmyArtisan said...

Your Knitting Olympics event is looking great! Can't wait to see the finished result.

(Came to your blog thru the Dishcloth KAL links)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home