Thursday, February 09, 2006

The Alien Illusion Scarf is finished!



It is done, and it took quite a bit longer to knit up than I had expected (and, of course, I did work on some other stuff while I was working on this), but it was worth it. I did add a 'Knit one Purl one' border to each side so that it doesn't curl up. I'm afraid the pictures really don't do it any justice, either, since it looks a whole lot cooler in person. I made this for Amanda and I believe she likes it, especially since she is into Science Fiction and UFOs and fun stuff like that.


I joined the Knitting Olympics today, even though I had said I wasn't going to, but hey, I think it sounded like fun. And I just happen to be ready to start a new knitting project tomorrow anyway, so I figured why not go ahead and join up with the 3500 other Olympic knitters! Can you believe how many people are signed up!

2 Comments:

At 8:22 PM , Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Good job! How is that done? I saw someone had done a vest like that only it had sheep on it...is it hard to do?

 
At 12:40 PM , Blogger Tina in Wonderland said...

It's actually pretty easy. On the right side, the green stripes are predominately done in Stockinette and the black stripes are done in mostly garter stitches. The 'illusion' or 'shadow' part (for the design to be seen at an angle) is done by mixing your knits and purls a bit so that some sections of black lie flat and the green behind puffs up. Maybe not the best description, but I was relieved to see that the pattern was pretty easy to work. It was my first time working with a chart. On the Stitch 'N Bitch forum I had seen some posts about the scarf trying to rollup on the edges so I started and ended each row, back and front with a K1 P1, so it lays nice and flat.

It was a fun project. On my first 2 repeats I kept stopping to look at the design, so that kinda slowed me down. LOL

I think there is a pair of heart socks in blue that are done with illusion knitting on Chrissy's 'Knittin Mom' blog. They look really nice!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home