Saturday, December 09, 2006

Frugal Pup Sweaters



So what can you do when you have a house full of dogs who have been complaining about the freezing cold weather that makes their 'potty walks' miserable, an hour of free time, and a couple of adult size thrift store sweaters lying around? Well, you can cut off the sleeves and make some quick and easy doggie sweaters, that's what! Mine have a closet full of 'good doggie duds' for wearing to town and impressing their canine friends, but I didn't really want them to wear the good stuff outside in the wet cold conditions of winter, especially when they could roll in the snow and mud. So now they can wear these 'everyday' sweaters when they have to be walked. (Yes, some people have the nerve to think I'm a bit eccentric where the pooches are concerned, can you believe it!) It was pretty dang simple. I just cut off the sleeves and cut two 2-inch arm slots, I turned down what used to be the wrist section to make a turtle neck, then I zig-zag stitched around the leg openings and ran a straight machine stitched seam around the bottom edge. The stitching was just to keep it from unraveling. I got this idea from a TV show I saw on HGTV, but they used Fray Check on the cut edges instead of the stitching. I could have fancied these up with nicer edge stitching and by adding knitted cuffs, but like I said, these are just for everyday walking in the cold yard at pee and pooping time. I did all four in way less than an hour and they cost me a buck a piece! Can't beat that, huh!

We had a fun time last night! My Mom treated my three kids, my niece and nephew, and me to a live performance of 'The Nutcracker' in Madisonville. It was pretty nice. My favorite part was watching some of the little kids that were cast in it; they were too cute!

We are gonna put up the tree and decorate for Christmas this afternoon, so that's all the blogging I have time to squeeze in, for now.

2 Comments:

At 6:14 PM , Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Don't they look nice and warm! In that first pic, the dog on the far left has the biggest grin on his face! How cute is that!!

 
At 12:17 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

They are too cute!!! I have been trying to talk hubby into letting me make one for our little jack russle but he is not going for it! Maybe I should just make one and put it on him!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home