Sunday, September 30, 2007

Cool Kool-aid yarn!



For my something new to do in September, I learned how to dye yarn with Kool-aid! It was fun, and I like how it turned out. The pink and green are about the shade I had wanted, but I was actually trying for brown instead of the dark purple; my test color showed up brown on the coffee filter I tested, but the wool liked it purple. You'll also notice some white flecks where the dye missed a spot. My green is sort of brownish in spots where that section accidentally got laid in the drippings of the purple, but the effect after the yarn was balled is pretty nice. The pink was Soarin' Strawberry Lemonade, the green was Switching Secrets, and the purplish part was a combination of Grape, Wild Watermelon Kiwi, and Black Cherry. And if you're wondering, yep, it does smell nice and fruity!


Here is a mini-swatch about 16 stitches wide on size 3 needles. I'm planning to make some 'Monkey' socks out of this yarn. That pattern is soooo cool, it should hide the flaws in the color. Plus, it should knit up way less stripey then, since it be over 60 stitches then instead of 16, which is great since I shooting for varigated! I'm fixing to post about it on the 'Do Something New KAL', so feel free to click on the button in my sidebar to check out more details about how I did it.
I have ahank of lace weight yarn that I want to dye a nice mossy green. Does anybody out there know how, exactly, to get that color with Kool-aid? I'm thinking of mixing two colors of green and maybe throw in a couple teabags??

6 Comments:

At 8:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that's so pretty!
I'm hoping I'll be able to do some dying for November.
I love the colors you picked!

 
At 9:41 PM , Blogger Knit and fall back in it said...

Those are going to be some really pretty monkeys.

 
At 4:25 AM , Blogger HobbygÃ¥sa said...

Those colors are SO pretty!! This will be great socks! I think you need to expend the KAL so we can work for new things longer than January... This is surtainly something I have to try! Have a nice day!

 
At 12:45 PM , Blogger Ragan Knits etc... said...

Wow!!!! That looks great! Not a clue on the moss green...but your idea of the tea bags sounds good.

 
At 8:08 PM , Blogger Jaye said...

Gorgeous! Left you a comment on the KAL blog, the wanted to say again how much I really like this yarn. I think it'll knit up beautifully in to the Monkey socks as well, which I've been admiring from afar :0)

 
At 9:23 PM , Blogger April said...

Oh that looks wonderful!!! You can get moss green using Wiltons Icing dye in gel form.(It's actually called moss green.Yipee!) I did last summer and was pretty pleased with how it came up. I posted about it on my blog and you can take a look using the following link: http://crafterscupboard.blogspot.com/2006_12_28_archive.html

I love using the kool aid or food coloring dyes myself and havn't even tryed to get into the chemical ones yet.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home